Join Our Online Progressive Bookclub!!

by Latina Fatale on 04/29/2011 · 9 comments

in Books

Book Club shirt
We’re in the process of working out all the details, but we will be starting an online bookclub with a handful of online friends who want to chat about books. Because many of us are primarily of the progressive persuasion, many of the books will also have a progressive spin to them. We will read fiction as well as non-fiction books that have to do with politics, feminism and many other topics.

The first book that we have decided to start with is Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, a dystopian novel about a futuristic world where humans are genetically bred and pharmaceutically anesthetized to passively serve a ruling order. Other fictional books that we have planned so far on the schedule is Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale (a tale of a future where certain women are forced to “breed”) and Marge Piercy’s Woman on the Edge of Time (another futuristic novel about a Latina who is committed to a psychiatric ward).

Although we are starting with Brave New World, we are open to suggestions about books that people might want to read and discuss with others online.  If you are interested in participating, please also feel free to give us feedback about whether you would like an online type of chat that is scheduled at a particular time, or any other feedback.

If you are interested in joining us for our first bookread, please purchase Brave New World or dig out your old copy of it! Don’t be shy-we are all beginners in this!! Please also leave a comment here and make sure to include your email (which we will not post), so that we can get back to you with additional information. As stated, any and all feedback or suggestions are also welcome!

Team Latina Fatale

Roxanne W April 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Good book choice! I’ve always been really fascinated by Brave New World.

Mike P. April 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Yep. Decided to go with the Kindle edition. There is a free copy out there, too.

… anyhow. Mike @mjpinmd

Della Lee April 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Count me in for the book club. I love your first three choices, and look forward to the discussion. Will you use Facebook’s chat feature?

Latina Fatale May 3, 2011 at 6:22 am

I haven’t decided which system to use yet della, but I will keep you updated soon!

Flor Olivo April 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm

This is an awesome idea a friend and I started one of these a while ago. Check it out when you can you might find some good book suggestions! (we also add in progressive children’s books, just so u know)

Latina Fatale May 3, 2011 at 6:22 am

I am definitely going to check it out!

Ally May 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm

yay! A free book! I feel werid but I’m going to print it out & bind it because I <3 free & I <3 reading! SCORE!

Rachel June 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Hi I came across this blog in a search for the film “Anima” by Frances Salome Espana. I noticed you have(/had?) a book club going. I would love to be a part of it – could you please pass on the updated details?

Latina Fatale June 17, 2011 at 5:03 am

Hi everyone, please send me your email to mslatinafatale(at)yahoo please if you want to join us. We are going to have the discussion on goodreads, so open an account and send me your email so that we can hook up there!!